Check out video of our tiny off-grid cabin as seen on HGTV's Tiny House Hunters on the pilot (Episode 1, Season 1)
If you haven't experienced the pure drama and anticipation of us newlyweds squaring off over a composting vs. flushing toilet, now is your chance!
What we affectionately call "our episode" of HGTV's "Tiny House Hunters" is now available here on Netflix or stream the full episode on HGTV's website, here.
We are excited that this pilot episode (and all of Season 1) is now viewable by more folks on more platforms.
Essential Updates / FAQ since the show first aired in December 2014:
- The Marriage: Our marriage is still thriving despite the vast majority of predictions by the twitterverse that it would meet a fast demise due to the built-up drama over how small to go and whether to have a flushing or composting toilet. Every week we continue to make priceless memories working on the house together, making new friends in Equinunk, and hosting guests.
- The Toilet: There is a flushing toilet in the house! And it flushes wonderfully! Wife 1, Husband 0.
- Off-The-Grid: While not featured on the TV show, the house is in fact completely off-grid with solar power and battery storage. It has been running flawlessly, powering all our construction tools, fridge, lighting, well pump, mechanical systems and gadgets.
- Sharing The Magic: I launched a fun spin-off of my existing sustainability consulting practice. It's called Off Grid Guys. The goal is to share the magic of lean, off-grid power with other tiny house builders, homeowners and businesses. So far so good. The Off Grid Guys have been cooking up practical designs for all kinds of facilities -- from a coin-op laundromat to corporate HQ's and private homes. The tiny house experience taught us that it's doable, practical and gratifying to be off-the-grid in many situations, even on a budget.
- New House Guests, Friends: We've hosted a number of other couples who learned about our cabin through the HGTV show or this blog. We're always looking to connect with like-minded folks in the NEPA / Sullivan County NY area. Contact us, we don't bite.
- Rentals: We've received a number of rental inquires. We don't have plans for commercial rentals at this time. Visits, skills bartering, and collaboration ideas are always welcome!